Poetry is one of the oldest form of literature that uses aesthetic and rhythmic qualities of language to express meanings beautifully. Calling out to all aspiring student poets, who has the flair and interest in writing Chinese poetry, Chou Sing Chu Foundation invites you to take part in the inaugural Sing Chu Student Chinese Poetry Creation Competition.
This competition is held in conjunction with Sing Chu Literature Lectures: Chapter 4. Renowned Taiwanese poet, Xiang Yang, currently a Professor at the National Taipei University of Education’s Graduate School of Taiwanese Culture, Chairman of Association for Taiwan Literature, and Dr Tan Chee Lay, local accomplished poet, Associate Professor in Chinese in Nanyang Technological University (NTU), and is the Executive Director (Research & Development) of the Singapore Centre for Chinese Language, NTU, will review and select the winners for this contest. Students will get a rare opportunity to learn more from these accomplished writers.
- To nurture students’ interest in writing, creativity and imagination.
- To understand a poet’s creating process and appreciate the beauty of Chinese Language.
Time, Space, and the Human World — Poetry and the Everyday
The everyday of poetry is the poet’s perception of and response to time, space, and the human world. While the everyday can seem mundane, the poet should express its temporal, universal, and human qualities through poetry.
Open to all students studying in Secondary Schools and Junior Colleges in Singapore
Download the Application Form here.
Rules of the competition
- Each submission must not exceed 40 lines in length.
- Each participant is allowed to submit only one entry and each participating school is allowed a maximum submission of 20 entries.
- Each submission must be written in the Chinese Language.
- Submissions should not contain inappropriate, offensive or sensitive contents.
- Each submission must be the original work of the participant, which should be unpublished and not submitted simultaneously to another competition.
- All decisions made by CSCF with respect to this competition are final. CSCF will not enter into correspondence with any participant with regards to the competition’s results.
Submission deadline: 28 February 2018, 23:59 via email to email@example.com
Submission format: All submission entries should be typed and submitted in pdf or Microsoft Word file, together with the application form. Handwritten submissions will be disqualified.
Terms and conditions
- Chou Sing Chu Foundation (CSCF) reserves the right to disqualify any participant’s entry in the event of any participant’s failure to comply with the competition’s terms and conditions.
- The copyright of each poem remains with the participant. However, by entering the competition, participants grant CSCF the right to publish and/or broadcast their poem for publicity, exhibition and/or other related purposes.
- Incomplete submission entries will be disqualified.
- CSCF reserves the right to conclude the contest with no selection if, in the judges’ opinion, no entry deserves a prize.
- All decisions made by CSCF and the judging panel with respect to this competition are final. CSCF will not enter into correspondence with any participant with regards to the competition’s results.
||: S$100 Book Voucher
||: S$80 Book Voucher
||: S$50 Book Voucher
|Merit Prize (7 winners)
||: S$20 Book Voucher
Date: 24 March 2018 (Saturday)
Venue: NAFA Lee Foundation Theatre
Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (Campus 3)
151 Bencoolen Street